Thursday 9 July 2009

Done a granite worktop template this morning!

Just got back from doing a granite worktop template - was a local job, so not much travelling involved... Yippee - I hate the travel sometimes... Getting first stuck in traffic and then having to do a days graft, before having to get back in the van and get stuck in more traffic.. Moody is all I can say!!

Why is it that I need to educate most customers who are looking for a new worktop surface for their home - why can't I get a worktop L-shaped length in one piece?? Well sure I tell them.. You can have this, but it will cost you an arm and a leg.. Most L-shaped worktops are manufactured in two or more sections and then joined together on completion.

Naturally, there are customers who are more than happy to pay for the one piece L-shape, but there is so much waste that comes with this sort of request - now I always offer additional products that could be fashioned from the same slab of stone - this help to bring the costs down and also offers the customer a chance to get a little bit more for their money... Funny enough; I recently fabricated such a worktop and the customer had matching wall skirting to match - I must say that this was a bit of a first, that is unless you are counting mu own kitchen; the customer was so satisfied, they invited me over for an August BBQ... Cool stuff!

Another factor to consider if you are going down this route is that granite worktops in once piece, could be extremely heavy and you could run the risk of damages or breaks being made to the stone...

My advice; get your worktop in sections and just live with the joins - heck they can be colour-matched after all!!

Ciao ciao ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment