Wednesday 15 July 2009

It's not all just about granite worktops!

I spend so much of my time using stone for commercial purposes, that I sometimes lose track of other reasons for digging up rock.. There are quite a few!

My mother is a Geologist and so I have gained a fair amount of knowledge throught the years, just by knowing and having conversations with her..

The image to the left is of an archeological dig site that was actually going on in Cedars Park, Waltham Cross. What can be seen here is the start of a road, but it was also around the start of my dinner and I needed to be off! lol

It was actually quite a nice day - my Sister met us there; she had brought her two children for the ride!

I find it interesting that if you remove a few grains of soil from the surface, then stones can be seen, but what may first appear as a handful of stone, could later prove to actually be the top of a wall, which is exactly what we are looking at here.

Cedars Park was home to the central control for England and although this is the case, there is little documentation that remains, so this dig was sort of essential!

Speak soon...

P.S. Sorry it took a while to post this - sort of happened a few days ago, but I was with my Dad at the time and the pics were on his camera; needed to wait for the email!

No comments:

Post a Comment